Aid Information

First Aid

Anyone that has children should be knowledgeable in some kind of first aid. Children have a way of bringing our “safety first” side out of us. I, personally, have an almost 10-month-old baby at home and I've learned first hand how important it is to promote safety in the house, car or, well goodness, just about anywhere I possibly can. As a parent, I've also learned the necessity of having a first aid kit close by. A first aid kit is really an essential, whether you have little ones or not. Everyone should have a few products for those unexpected boo-boo's.

Below are a few must-haves for any household:

  • Band Aids (for cuts, scraps, and those occasional bug bites)
  • Peroxide (for scraps and cuts to kill germs)
  • Hydrocortisone (used as an anti-itch ointment)
  • Benadryl (for allergic reactions)

These are just a few necessities for a home first aid kit. You can even purchase them already put together from a local store.

Not only is it wise to have a first aid kit, but it is equally wise to know a few important safety procedures such as what to do if your child is chocking on something. The most common age for chocking in children is between one to three years of age. It can be from a foreign object such as coins, rings, or even small toys. The most common form is from food. Supervision during eating sessions is extremely important for small children. Some foods such as peanuts, grapes (unless cut up) and popcorn should be avoided.

If a child swallows a foreign object, one of two things will happen. On a lighter side, the foreign object will naturally go through the digestive tract and be eliminated through a bowel movement. It is important for the parent to check the child's stool for at least 48 hours to insure the object has passed. The other, more dangerous way, effects of swallowing a foreign object is it can become lodged in a child's air passage and cause breathing difficulties. Parents should be educated on how to handle these types of scenarios. Classes in first aid can usually be taken at a community college, church or civic center.